Monday, January 18, 2010

new job!

Well, tomorrow is a big day for me! I start my new job at Menlo Park Police Department. I am that normal mixture of excited and a little nervous. I will miss Kyle a lot because he was my companion all day, every day for the past 10 months. At the same time, it will be nice to do something new and I just really like having a job! I realized that, more than ever, by being unemployed. I will have a great schedule! I work 10 hour days (whoa!) but have three day weekends every weekend, which is fabulous! I will start work at 6:30am and get off at 5:30pm with one hour for lunch. I think, especially at first, I will be exhausted at the end of the day. Luckily, I am off early enough to still enjoy my evenings. I want to come home very day and cook dinner, play with Kyle, walk on my treadmill, shower, and crochet/knit/read/watch movies before bed. I will be waking up at 4am (I don't like to rush in the mornings) and leaving for work before 6am. It takes about 25 min-to 30 min to get to Menlo Park and I'm sure it will be even less in the early morning since there won't be too many people on the road, but I want to get to work without stress.

Robert and I have gone through these different steps in our relationship: dating, seriously in a relationship, engaged, married, baby-and now we want to go into the next phase, which will be buying a house. Since my dad is a realtor we are able to look at any house we want. There was one for sale in Montara for $689,000, which is pretty cheap for around here. It was a three bedroom, two bath house with a totally cute and cottage-y kitchen that was still totally modern, if that makes sense. It had another room off the living room that was for an office, but you could totally make it an office/guest bedroom. It had a huge master suite with it's own fireplace, huge jacuzzi tub, walk-in closet... it had beautiful hard wood floors throughout and the other two bedrooms were a really good size. And, it had a big two car garage and a super big back yard. Plus, it was on a side street between two bigger streets so it was the only house on that small block. And it's right next to the old Montara Grammar School which is totally art deco and now is a ballet school. It also had ocean views from the living room windows... i mean, there were trees so it was a little obstructed, but you could see ocean! We fell in love with that house and wished that we had the money now to be able to buy it. We also just love Montara! It's a small town just 7 or so miles north of Half Moon Bay and it's a really beautiful place.

Now that I am starting this new job and when Robert graduates from the academy and hopefully gets a police job, buying a house will become a reality. We are going to be penny pinching for the next year and writing up a budget and sticking to it. We can't wait to have a place to call our own where we can raise our family. I am getting excited just thinking of it!

Today Kyle and I are relaxing since it's my last day before work and I'm getting some house chores out of the way-laundry mostly.

It's a nice windy and rainy day so it's super cozy!

2 comments:

Ali said...

good luck on the new job honey!!!

Aleyta said...

Montara yesssss!!!!! We'll practically be neighbors!